Picture of avocat logo
Picture of avocat logo

Every Nigerian should know these laws

What makes you a Nigerian? It is much more than being born by Nigerian parents or by getting married to a Nigerian. Y ...

circle watermark
Every Nigerian should know these laws
2

What makes you a Nigerian? It is much more than being born by Nigerian parents or by getting married to a Nigerian. You’re a Nigerian when you can fully exercise your rights when you understand the laws and you’re able to use these laws to fight for your rights. The sad thing is, over 70% of Nigerians know nothing about the laws guiding or protecting them, the other 30% being lawyers. Here are 5 laws every Nigerian should know;


Fundamental rights

Nigeria as a country believes that “Every person has a right to life and no one shall be deprived intentionally of his life, save in execution of the sentence of a court in respect of a criminal offense in which he has been found guilty in Nigeria”. We also have a right to be respected and to personal liberty. We have seen cases where Nigerians are being arrested unjustly, imprisoned, or even killed despite being innocent. Every Nigerian has a fundamental right as dictated by law and is free to exercise such rights especially when innocent. As a Nigerian, it is very important that you know your fundamental rights and that you use them.



The constitution

The constitution is the foremost law every Nigerian should know. This contains every single law that makes Nigeria a republic. The constitution of Nigeria was amended in 1999, reinstating a civilian government. What this means is that Nigeria is not authoritarian democracy, it is a majoritarian democracy that assumes the equality of citizens. The constitution has provided laws that can help Nigerians exercise their rights and make better decisions as stated by the law.



Land use act

The land use act is a very important law in Nigeria. It guides you on how best to deal with land ownership and transfer of ownership inland. According to Salami, 2014, the land use act was created for the purpose of;


  • Making lands easily accessible to all Nigerians
  • Provide the system of Government administration of rights that will improve tenure security
  • Prevent speculative purchases of communal land
  • Streamline and simplify the management and ownership of land
  • Make land available to the government at all levels of development


Knowing the land use act can help you make better-informed decisions before purchasing or transferring ownership of land in Nigeria.



The Electoral act

Every Nigerian has a right to vote. “No right is more precious in a free country than that of having a choice in the election of those who make the laws, under which, as good citizens, they must live. Other rights, even the most basic are illusory if the right to vote is undermined”. Westbury V sanders. The electoral act gives you a clear understanding of the electoral process in Nigeria; voters registration, election campaigns, and political rallies, and a Nigerian, you should know exactly how the election process runs in the country.


More articles

Subscribe to receive articles in your inbox